Seesmic announced on Thursday, that it has been acquired by Hootsuite!
Seesmic was a social media management app/tool, available for PC and smart phone download, that:
1) Allowed you to manage your social media accounts, e.g. your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn accounts from a central dashboard
2) Enabled you to see real-time updates (posts, tweets, mentions) of your social media accounts and respond to same.
1) Post messages to a variety of your social media accounts, simultaneously, thus saving you the time from having to post messages to these accounts, separately
2) Analyze the performance of each of these accounts,
E.g. for your Twitter accounts, Hootsuite allows you to see:
a) Which tweets resonated with your users by demographics (age, sex) and region
b) Which tweets generated the most retweets
d) They even allow you to import the Google Analytics data for your account, so that you can further drill down your account performance by other parameters such as user behaviour (visitor frequency and whether or not these visitors are new or returning) and the type of device that your users use to access your account profiles.
The basis of the Hootsuite-Seesmic acquisition may not be evident to users, but Hootsuite had to make a preemptive strike to gobble up a competitor that had every intention of adding analysis to its suite of tools.
Seeing that the two apps did almost the very same thing...this acquisition is a boon to Hoostuite, as:
1) There is one less competitor to contend with in the social media management market place
2) It automatically gains Seeismic's user base which is approximately 22,000 US visitors/month, visitors, whose incomes are in excess of $100,000/annually.
Well, we wish Hootsuite all the best, for as long as they keep making social media management, easy and efficent, they'll always have paying customers!
For those interested in company IPO's, Hoostuite is definitely a company to watch for the future!